Thursday, August 18, 2011

End of Summer Reading List

1. Medical Muses : Hysteria in Nineteenth Century Paris
So I have been addicted to reading non-fiction books about medicine for quite a while. It all started about 6 years ago when I read the book "Stiff: The Curious Life of Human Cadavers". Ever since I have read about 20 books in a similar vein. Here's the one I'm currently reading...
 
So far, it's really interesting, though not so much as Mary Roach's books, which somehow meld science and comedy together in way that makes her books impossible for me to put down. In the future I would love to see her first book "Stiff" made into a film, though the logistics of that might be a nightmare, as would be getting american audiences to sit through a 2 hour movie about dead bodies and be able to appreciate the humor that worked so well in the book without seeing it as disrespectful. At any rate, this book is interesting, educational, and well-written, if not a little dry. 

2. Pox : An American History
I heard about this book on NPR and I'm so excited to get to reading it. Right now I'm still getting through Medical Muses, so I haven't even picked it up yet. My mom, however, grabbed it and is nose deep in it as we speak. She's loving it so far... I'm only hoping I find it as interesting as she does!


3. Eating the Dinosaur
It's so hipster of me to rave about Chuck Klosterman, but I just can't help myself. I can honestly say that I am a huge fan of his writing. "Sex, Drugs, and Cocoa Puffs" is probably in my top 5 favorite books of all time, and I'm hoping that this one will give it a run for it's money. 
 

I may be a nerd, but I'm having a good time with my new books and hopefully I can reading them again in the future, because they were not cheap (Either that or I have holiday gifts for friends and family already). Is it considered re gifting if they were a gift to myself?

No comments:

Post a Comment